Pidgie's pages Headline Animator

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Drinking beer and talking politics with Canadians

I spent a couple of months in Calgary (Alberta province) a couple of years back. I had the opportunity to talk to a wide range of people. We discussed the relation between America and Canada, health care, history and a range of subjects during the time I was there.

A number of things impressed me. In talking with the neighborhood regulars (drinking beer and roving from yard to yard) I was impressed by the knowledge of even the most regular seeming Canadian. People from teachers, writers to construction workers exhibited a really good grasp of history, politics and various subjects. I had asked my friend, (a writer for a radio station) why everyone seemed so knowledgeable regarding a wide range of subjects, his reply was. "Here most of the schools go out of their way to emphasize history, both ours and the history of the United States since we are both neighbors and so economically and historically tied together." that worked for me. At the time health care was a much discussed topic as it is now.

During these back yard forays into politics and beer, (Canadian or American brews) I listened for the tell tale signs of people disenchanted with their government and it's handling of health care issues. Never was the voice of discontent sounded with regards to the handling of health care. Maybe I was in a place where every one was happy, I don't know. I do remember that money to various Provence's was discussed, as there seemed a grudge regarding some getting unfair shares of oil shale revenue or cattle people profiting unfairly. Still, I did not hear any complaints about health care. I finally asked my bud if people seemed OK with their health care and he said to me, 'yeah, we love it.' Yes, I asked if they had to wait an unduly long time to be treated and was told that if you had a minor injury, you were instructed in what to do about it and might wait a week to be seen. Serious injuries and illnesses were treated immediately. So, according to some U.S. media and politicians, what am I missing here?

Another really amazing story. While driving down a main street in Calgary with my hosts in the back seat one day, they started screaming (literally) for me to slow down. I was 200 feet or more from the intersection, there were pedestrians ready to cross. Apparently, up there in the cold north, the pedestrian reigns supreme. Unlike much of the U.S. crossing the street is not considered an act of overt defiance of possible death. Folks here respect the man (or women) on foot, rather surprising for me.

So... my experience was one of a people who were satisfied for the most part with government. A people who didn't seem to feel as though their government was some twisted Machiavellian entity, never to be trusted. In other words a pretty happy well adjusted group with few worries.

Then I came back to the U.S. The phrase, "wrapped kinda' tight" came to mind. I like the people around me here at home, but there seems to be constant fear and worry about some thing or another all the time. As an ex news reporter, I remember that old adage, "If it bleeds, it leads," some thing I was never quite comfortable with. So I wondered, what is the real understanding of the reality most of us here in America have of the world, (our own) and the global community? What's yours and is it real or is it media and politician induced. Have you really asked your self that question?

Maybe we ought to demand responsibility and accountability in media. Maybe reading is something that needs to more common place. I don't know. I do know from traveling to other parts of the world that many are just as good as where we live and some are actually better. Does that give us something to shoot for? Yes Edna, Canada is not just that funny country to the north, but a real nation with very nice people who seemed full of common sense, good will and decency towards their fellows. and they had pretty good beer to boot. I liked it, and you can see the Northern Lights from time to time, Eh!

No comments: