Pidgie's pages Headline Animator

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Health care Madness

"And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up." [New Test.]

And so begins my quest to find the spirit of giving in America. Do we remember these words still? Each day I meet people in my comings and goings, I smile at them they smile back. So often we stop and have a pleasant conversation. Occasionally we stumble across the topic of health care. Things can get interesting then. Many people seem to against it and when I question them a bit more the argument's I'm hearing are the agreements that are used so often in the media. The surprising thing is these same arguments, higher taxes, euthanasia for the elderly, recently are the arguments that are are blasted 24-7 by not only the conservative media, but the mainstream, oft considered "left of center" media. I feel as though the media is so enthralled by the spectacle that is unfolding before them they can't help them selves. The feeding frenzy that people talk about seems to be unfolding.

Is this the Stockholm Syndrome? A psychological response often seen in hostages, the hostage exhibits signs of loyalty to the hostage-taker, regardless of the danger or risk in which they have been placed. What appear to me to be honest and decent people, professed Christians who seem to have forgotten the basic principles of good will and compassion towards our fellow humans.

I called to mind of the fact that in 1855 the Canadian government at the urging of Jesuits banned the Potlatch. We in America did the same shortly after wards. This redistribution of wealth, (food, clothing, live stock and so on) ensured the continued existence and prosperity of all tribal members. This was to an extent the way of early settlers also, or so legend would have us believe. were those early pioneers, merchants and such caring and compassionate in our not too distant past? Perhaps it was just a nice story spread around to make us all feel better about ourselves as we suffered under the effects of settlement and a government already grown rich, fat and uncaring. It may depend on who you read, as past historians seem to differ on the largesse and concern shown to our fellow humans in our nations past.

Have we existed under first the hard ships of nation and the fears that were endured for so long that the compassion we give lip service to is truly only a myth? I still continue to believe that we are a people who care. I am at this moment feeling that we have completely lost our way though. We care, we send monies to charities, while many in said organizations profit from the wealth we bestow on them. At the same time we have difficulty sharing our spaces in our churches with our brothers and sister who are a little different in appearance. Why do we need the separation from others, what fear do the different incite in our psyches?

I like so many others am confused by the displays of charity and decency that take place every day, only to be canceled out by the mean spiritedness of people who are parroting back what was said on Fox news about the latest wild notion regarding the need to make sure we all are treated equally to decent health care. Sacrifice for others is the greatest gift we can give. I don't know where it went or when it became so unfashionable. Perhaps it's just we have all been scared by the bogeyman of privation. I believe that there are those in power, wealthy, immature and fearful who would make us believe the act of giving is synonymous with being made the fool, being dispossessed of what is rightfully ours. I remember my dad saying to me one day, "you know, were not even guaranteed our next breath!" So I wonder where did it all go, this spirit of giving and caring that once seemed to so define us as a nation. Do I still see it in the eyes of those I meet, or am I seeing the confidence of a child who believes that the Great Fathers in Washington will take care of them if only they obey the commands.

We need to be responsible citizens, husbands, wives, lovers and friends or what ever. We must stop listening to others and search our hearts for what is right and find the courage to do it. Remember it is easier to hate then to love, easier to push others away than to pull them in close.

Yes we need health care,we need to care for others, we need to grow up. we mustreject the Father in Washinton and begin to think for ourselves as we may all find that some day the results of not caring will to too great a burden to bear. Incidentally I believe that a wise leader is a good one. So, yes for the record I agree with Obama. We need to take care of one another, health care for all is a step in the right direction.

No comments: